The rate of cancer patients has increased drastically over the past couple of years all over the world. From movie stars to normal people, everyone seems to be getting affected by the deadly disease, and one of the most common forms of cancer these days is Breast cancer. Various studies reveal that there is a common link between cancer and cosmetic products and one must be aware of the ingredients that they are putting on their skin. It’s necessary you take a quick look at the ingredients at the back of your beauty supplies since these ingredients have not been banned yet, unfortunately! Listed is a low down of toxic ingredients in beauty products which may be cancerous:
- Triclosan: If your product says “anti-bacterial”, it’s definitely due to the presence of Triclosan. Triclosan is basically a form of pesticide which aims at killing bacteria, however, if too much of the ingredient gets into your pores, you are more likely to develop thyroid or in more serious cases Cancer. It’s better to wash your face and hair with plain water sometimes, instead of letting toxic ingredients near your skin.
- Petroleum: Motor oil comes from petroleum, and it’s surprising to see beauty products inculcating petroleum as their ingredient. Keep a tab if your product has petroleum as it is stamped under the names- liquid paraffin, mineral oil, petrolatum and xylene! If you have petroleum infused products lying around your beauty closet, it’s time you throw them out.
- Parabens: Parabens are basically used as preservatives in beauty products and you will find the name labeled on almost every beauty product, i.e. scrubs, body washes, shampoos, face washes and even baby products; except a few brands who have become aware of the hazards of the ingredient. Direct application of the ingredient can lead to cancer or may be a cause of complications during pregnancy, as it absorbs easily into the bloodstream, skin and body organs. Look for names such as methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, isobutylparaben and propylparaben.
- Resorcinol: If you use face bleaches and it causes your skin to get irritated and red, it’s due to the presence of Resorcinol. Extended usage of the ingredient can lead to thyroid and cancer, which we definitely do not want.
- Oxybenzone: We cannot live without our sunscreens, but there is one such ingredient that the product contains which is not good for you, it’s called “Oxybenzone”. It is an ingredient that is known to be linked to skin cancer. Do you know what’s even bad? Taking a dip into the ocean with sunscreen on, as sunscreens have negative impact on aquatic creatures and the sea. So, save yourself from this toxic ingredient by keeping an eye on the ingredient list.
- Phthalates: One of the potent ingredients found in almost every fragrance. This is also present in shampoos, body washes, body lotions and nail polish. Not only does this ingredient lead to cancer but may be a cause of birth defects. If the label doesn’t say Phthalates- try looking for names such as Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Diethyl Phthalate (DEP), Di 2 Ethylhexyl Phthalate (DEHP) and Dimethyl Phthalate (DMP).
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Also known as PAH’s these are mainly found in coal, gasoline and crude oil. Another form of hydrocarbon found in cosmetics and shampoos is Hydrocarbon. The product when applied to the hair, skin and or scalp, gets absorbed in the bloodstream and can be a major cause of breast cancer.
Stay away from the toxic ingredients in beauty products which may be cancerous because you definitely do not want to vent money and buy yourself a deadly disease.