PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disorder) is becoming a common lifestyle disease which is occurring in girls and women all over the globe. Even though doctors have not been able to devise any exact reason why it occurs, it is believed that genetics and hormones have a major role to play in the occurrence of PCOD and PCOS.
Is there any treatment for curing PCOD?
Apart from medicinal options and surgical treatment, there are many home remedies which can prove to be useful for treating PCOD. When combined with healthy eating habits and regular physical workouts, these natural remedies can help improve this hormonal condition effectively. Here are some of the common natural treatments for PCOD which are easily available at home.
- Using castor oil: Known for treating hormonal imbalances, castor oil can regulate blood circulation in the abdominal region. You can use organic castor oil along with hot water in a hot water bag and apply it on the stomach.
- Pumpkin seeds: Natural seeds such as pumpkin seeds are very effective in managing insulin levels in the body and imbalanced hormones. They can be consumed as it is or soaked in water and grinded to be taken as a paste.
- Cumin seeds: Rich in antioxidants, Cumin powder is known to eliminate freely moving radicals in the body. It also helps in regulating the level of blood sugar in the body. You can either soak them in water or make a powder to consume it on daily basis.
- Cinnamon: Perhaps, one of the strongest and powerful remedy for women with PCOD, cinnamon is highly amenable to addition in a variety of food items. You can take a stick of cinnamon each day in powder form and add it to a juice of your taste, food items, tea and even smoothies. It helps the metabolic rate in the body and hence, also helps you burn more calories. As a result, it helps stabilise blood sugar levels and also improve insulin insensitivity.
- Fenugreek seeds: For a normal insulin level in the body, fenugreek is very effective as it manages glucose tolerance in the system. This in turn, also helps in managing various symptoms of PCOD. You can consume fenugreek by soaking it in water and drinking it along with the seeds or else, grinding the seeds to a powder and consuming it with water. You can also consume cooked fenugreek seeds.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are popular for their high Omega 3 and 6 content, these seeds contain fatty acids which are high in fibre. It can lower testosterone level in the body and can be consumed by grinding into powder or taking them in directly. However, make sure that you chew them completely to aid in proper digestion.
- Indian gooseberry: Rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, Amla is effective in controlling the level of blood sugar and also enhances fertility levels in the body. Those looking for detoxifying the body will also find it useful for weight reduction.
PCOD might be a battle where the odds of winning might be less but till you find a complete solution for the problem, these home remedies can help you cope with the symptoms of PCOD.
Author: Mitalee Mithal