1. How did you discover your passion for Yoga?
I was always inclined towards fitness but used to feel yoga is not my cup of tea; it is too slow for a hyperactive person like me. Then i caught up with a lot of health issues from tuberculosis in my stomach; acute pyelonephritis etc. Someone suggested me to try Yoga in the gym where I used to go said “try one session the yoga teacher is tremendously good”. So one day after my routine workout (without any heart) i showed up, and thought I may stay for few minutes n will walkout if I don’t like it. I ended up staying for the whole class. I think i was on a spiritual quest too at that time and that class was a beautiful combination of Yogasanas, Breathing Exercises and A beautiful guided Meditation by my Mentor Kalpana Mehta. After that very first class, I knew this was my calling, this is where my soul belongs and my mat is my home. As they say “no matter where u wander but end of the day you will come to the place where your soul belongs.”
2. As a budding entrepreneur, are there any things you wish you knew before you started?
Yoga is a journey in which every day is a new learning and discovery to yourself. But on the other side in today’s digital world, I really wish I knew how to handle all the social media handles..
3. People that inspire you and why?
There are so many people who inspired me throughout my life so far and for several reasons . I would also like to mention one book here which still really inspires me and that is “BHAGWAT GEETA”.
4. What are your future plans and where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
I see myself on my yoga mat after 5 years in front of a vast audience to share my Blessings and Passion!
5. Since you are so beautiful yourself, what beauty advice would you like to give other girls?
I would suggest following a routine; Eat right; exercise or do some kind of recreational activity; stick to natural products as much as you can and just be positive & be yourself.
6. Top 5 makeup products you cannot do without?
- Kohl pencil
- Lip Balm
- And my newly found love Indulgeo Essential oils
1. Any tips for beginners in yoga?
Listen to your body and try not to imitate someone else. Everyone is different from each other, some are stronger whereas some are more flexible, so just be patient, give time to yourself and enjoy the process.
2. Is yoga enough or one should compliment it with cardio and weight lifting for weight loss?
I would like to mention here that yoga is not just a physical workout. Anything that you do with mindfulness is Yoga. For weight loss, one should compliment Yogasana or any other form of exercise with a proper diet.
3. What is the best time to perform yoga?
It is best to practice during sunrise.
4. Should you perform yoga on an empty stomach?
5. Should you practice yoga while on your period? If yes, which poses are the most helpful?
Yes, why not. Just try to avoid inversions. Ustrasana (Camel Pose), Matsyasana (Fish Pose), Setubandhasana (Bridge Pose), Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose), Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose) are some asanas that help in easing menstrual symptoms.
6. How does yoga help in reducing stress?
Yoga is an art, science, and philosophy of body, breath, mind and soul. By regular practice of yogasana, breathing exercises, meditation and relaxation one can establish the harmony between body, breath, mind and soul. I would highly recommend applying the four pillars of yoga in your life to maintain this harmony.
7. Can yoga be performed if you are not flexible?
Ofcourse, yes. In fact, yoga is an excellent practice to increase flexibility.
8. How do you increase flexibility?
Practice Yogasanas regularly.
9. How is yoga different from stretching or other forms of exercising?
As I mentioned earlier also, Yoga is not just a physical workout. It is a union between body, breath, mind and soul. You are much more focused, your breath is rhythmic and you feel ready to feel all your fears and challenges with a sense of peace and calmness. You start responding instead of reacting.
10. How many times a week should you practice yoga?
For breathing exercises and meditation, I would recommend doing it daily and Asana Practice at least thrice a week.
11. What kind of a diet compliments a daily yoga regime?
Satvik diet – which means a diet which consumes least energy and provides you the maximum energy.
12. What should be the average duration of a yoga session?
An hour is an average duration of a yoga session.
13. How does Surya Namaskar benefit the mind and body? How many Surya Namaskars must one do to attain maximum health benefits?
Surya Namaskar is a combination of 12 postures. I always start my class with Surya Namaskar since its a fantastic blend of asanas for warm up and has a lot of benefits. Regular practice of Surya Namaskar strengthens the digestive system, stimulates the nervous system, improves the respiratory system, improves BMR, promotes weight loss and increases blood circulation in the the whole body. Surya Namaskar is also very good for overall flexibility and balance between body and mind.